Monday, 4 June 2012

Clarity Prevails...


                                          Summer Fruits by Helen Ratcliff




What a difference a day can make. Today, I have been inspired.  I visited the Tate Gallery to see the exhibition of works by Yayoi Kusama. What a lady. She has been on a phenomenal journey over the decades with her art. She has survived poverty, homelessness, drugs and by working obsessively, has become Japan's most successful living artist. Some of the work reflects a woman searching for something very extraordinary. I felt like I was able to see inside her mind, at times - complex, dark and mysterious.  But as you were drawn further in to her world, you were able to grow with her strange and magical vision. I think her best pieces have been later in her career. She reflects someone confident, committed and precise. Bringing your imagination to the fore with her colourful artwork, installations and forests of light... "Filled with the brilliance of life..."
 Then, after drifting through some of the other geniuses of the art world and dabbling in a little Man Ray and Salvador Dali, we were lucky enough to witness the most vivid rainbow I have ever seen. As we walked along the Southbank... suddenly, people were turning and gasping... Then, as I turned to see what the crowds were looking at... let out a huge "Wow!" Really, the colours could have been painted in acrylic across the sky. Each separate one as bold as it could be. I have never seen such strong colours in a rainbow. It was as though my eyes had been washed... such clarity. Suddenly, everything appeared clean and clear. The tide had been particularly high, so buildings such as The Houses of Parliament, were sitting on the water. The light, with a subtle lilac -sepia tone, was softly enhancing the view. How could this be? Is this what new inspiration looks like? Everything was its usual grey tone before - I am sure of it!
 Sometimes, when in search of inspiration. To observe another's journey and engage with their determination and passion,  can open a window, where the shutter has been blocking out the light. To suddenly realise that you are not so different from another and allowing yourself to receive something as simple and pure as colour, can really bestow a new image of the world in front of you. The rainbow happened because the drops of water are mirroring the sun's rays... I know this, but isn't it more pleasant to imagine something more spiritual or magical? Couldn't we all benefit from that pot of gold? I know that I could...
 And the summer fruit? Well, it's seasonal. I have no rainbow pictures yet, but I like to dress the page with something visually stimulating.... and, they're filled with the brilliance of colour...





No comments:

Post a Comment