Friday, 18 May 2012

Jumping Fish & Wisteria...

Wisteria Wall by Helen Ratcliff

After applying for five or six more jobs yesterday, I gave myself the afternoon off to let go of the deafening silence... It is not the fact that I am not working at present which is lowering the self esteem, but the simple case of no response from potential employers. There should be some law against not answering someone's application. Okay, I get that the working folk have no time. However, they have the security and confidence that the rest of us need, to keep trusting and keep going... This is not easy. When I have put positive energy into letters, up - dating and honing my C.V., walking the streets of London until I have blisters and am weeping with tiredness and loss of will... waited and waited, kept believing, kept smiling, et al... Isn't it only fair that I receive some acknowledgement in return? Anyway, enough of the sad stuff.
 It is of no wonder that I communicate with animals. That nature brings me back to my 'self'. And, being in green spaces, smelling flowers and observing creatures in their natural habitats, is like a hug from heaven. The wisteria growing at the back of my house is abundant this year. I believe the rains have nourished well. The scent is sweet and slightly aromatic, almost medicinal. After inhaling the wisteria goodness, I set forth on my walk to the big pond at Wandsworth Common...
 May is a beautiful time of year for the natural world. And the amphitheatre is just buzzing with activity. All the birds are busying away - building nests, feeding their young, disciplining the babies, beaking, coohing and even running across the water.The comical landing of the ducks... So entertaining, they never fail to make me chuckle. Then, a larger than life crow appears. He is 'majestic - looking', shiny and proud. I greeted him ( like you do), and he responded with a squawk and took off into the lush green... Suddenly, an almighty splashing sound came from the centre of the pond. I thought it was ducks or couts...  then, blinking into focus, I saw a massive silver fish! He jumped out of the water and dove back in... and again.... he was huge, with big lips... he twisted his body upwards and then spiralled back into the water... I believe he was a Carp catching flies. It happened so quickly, but, like I have said many times... nature always manages to bring a smile, gasp of amazement or some inspiration... And, I always feel better...
 So... if a fish can jump out of water and a duck can add some humour to the mix... then, surely, someone out there can employ me...

No comments:

Post a Comment