Thursday, 5 January 2012

In Dreams...

I had  a dream the other night that Otto and I were walking along side a puma.  She had a couple of cubs and I couldn't help but wonder, why she was not more protective of them. Then it occurred to me that she was not only protecting her young, but also Otto, one of my cats. It is as though she believed him to be hers. Instinctively, Otto knew this and ran along playfully beside her and her family. I was walking slightly behind, not quite sure if I could trust her and found myself feeling scared for what seemed like no apparent reason. Yes, a puma is a wild, unpredictable animal, and in reality, I would have every reason to be concerned... Yet, in this dream, she was not a threat. She was peaceful and trusting. Everything in her world was as it should be... She had allowed me into her environment and accepted that we meant her no harm. However, perhaps, in her feline wisdom, she needed to guide or teach me something...
 Pumas are, by nature, gentle and retiring cats. They would prefer to flee than fight. To be fair, they will only lash out if injured or cornered and would rarely confront a human. Pumas are not yet considered endangered, but are hunted, run down by cars, are losing their natural habitat and getting shot frequently, when they kill livestock - mainly sheep and young cattle. This though, is the natural instinct of an animal that spots an opportunity, when its usual prey has moved. That said, they have learned to survive against the odds, from Canada to the most southern part of America, along with humans, who are in fact their greatest enemy. They adapt to climate change and do try to remain elusive to the best of their ability and are the most widely distributed of the American cats.
 The puma has the cranial proportions of a small cat. They have large eyes and their nose shape, short head, slim, agile body and distinctive purr, liken them to a giant domestic puss. Also, they do not roar like the lion or leopard. However, they are the fourth largest in size of all the big cats and with their long back legs are capable of vertical leaps of 18 feet! Making them great ambush predators.
 According to American folklore and mythology of The Indigenous people of North and South America, the puma is seen as the harbinger of death.  One who announces anothers approach. Warns of danger; And, is a good omen...
 So.... The puma thinks she is a big cat, but scientists do nor classify her as one. She is a passive creature with a small beautiful face and she purrs like a domestic cat... This begs the question.... why did she appear in my dream?
 Perhaps to show me  that I have nothing to fear, can believe and be more confident. Like her, I can think of myself as a bigger cat and find success against all the odds... And Otto? Well, he is wise and shows her trusting domestic side.... Who is to say? It was just a dream. But, it was my dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment